What help can I get before leaving the services?


You can get help through the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO)


They provide information and advice for you and your dependants, especially if you are about to return to civilian life. If you are a veteran currently living in Armed Forces housing, they can help you move out and find a civilian home.

You can contact JSHAO in the following ways:

Advice line: 01252 787574 

Email: AWS-JSHAO-Mailbox@mod.uk 
Website: www.gov.uk

In England and Wales, if you need specially adapted accommodation, for example, because you are disabled or have a disabled child, you can apply to have your details entered on to one or more Accessible Housing Registers.

For more information about Accessible Housing Registers, see Finding accommodation

Help for veterans finding a home


If you are a veteran, you can get help to find somewhere to live from your local council. They can give you free advice on housing options, and advice if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness. For more information about the advice available from your local housing authority, visit the Citizen Advices pages on Finding accommodation there are numerous great tips. Or call them.


If you are single you can get help from The Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services (SPACES).

SPACES helps single ex service personnel find housing throughout the United Kingdom which can be temporary or permanent. If you contact them within six months of leaving the Armed Forces they may be able to help you find accommodation. If you have been out of the Armed Forces for more than six months they can provide you with information and advice on housing.


If you are currently homeless

If you don't have anywhere to live, you can get help from your local council.

The council has a legal duty to provide help to certain people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness. If you live in England, you will have a priority need if you are vulnerable because of your time in the Armed Forces.If you live in Wales, anyone leaving the Armed Forces will have a priority need. If you live in Northern Ireland, the Northern Ireland Housing Executive has a duty to provide accommodation for you if they decide that you have a priority need.

For more information about finding somewhere to live, see Finding accommodation.


If you have nowhere to live, you can get help and advice from an experienced adviser, for example at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on nearest CAB.

You may also be able to get help from some veterans' organisations:



Print Print | Sitemap
© The Poppy Practice CIC Registered Office The Old School House, 188 Liscard Road, Wallasey CH44 5TN