Help for vulnerable or disabled veterans


If you need every day help or help for adaptions in your home you may get this from your local council or the Welfare Service or Veteran Organisations. The Citizens Advice has collated a number of useful service in one place for you to view.


In England, for more information about the help available for disabled people go to the GOV.UK website at www. In England, Wales and Scotland, you can find out more information about the help available from Veterans UK .Veterans UK, which is an Agency of the Ministry of Defence (MOD), is the sole Government-funded source of help and advice for veterans. Its website has a lot of useful information for veterans and their families, including on welfare support and other specialist support programmes that are available to veterans. It also provides links to many other veterans organisations.Veterans UK also runs a free helpline for veterans, which gives advice on many topics.


For more information about the services your local authority may offer, and how to access these services, see Social care and support.


Care homes for veterans.

There are a number of care homes available just for elderly and disabled veterans.  You can find out more information and advice about this from the Royal British Legion.

For more information about housing options for older and disabled people, see Care homes.


Sir Oswald Stoll Foundation

The Sir Oswald Stoll Foundation provides housing and support to vulnerable and disabled veterans and their dependants in England. If you are offered a place in one of their homes, they provide a home for life if you need it, or help to find training and work to get back to independent living.




SSAFA If you are serving in the Armed Forces, a veteran or the dependant of those serving and veterans, you can get free housing advice from The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) Forces Help. They provide advice and assistance to those eligible for help. They also provide some housing facilities.They also provide help to people who are homeless.


If you are homeless, or are likely to become homeless, you can get help from Veterans Aid.

They can provide direct and immediate help to vulnerable veterans with finding hostel accommodation.




Aftercare is a charity in Northern Ireland which provides medical, vocational, welfare and benevolence support to former full-time and part-time UDR and Royal Irish (HS) soldiers and their families. They have four field teams based in Coleraine, Holywood, Portadown and Enniskillen.


Veterans Scotland

Veterans Scotland offers access to accommodation managed by its member organisations. A range of housing options are available for veterans and their dependants to rent. This ranges from hostel accommodation for single people, to houses adapted for disabled veterans. There are properties throughout Scotland.



Housing Options Scotland

Housing Options Scotland runs a specialist housing service called Military Matters for disabled serving or veteran service personnel and their families to assist them in finding the right home. There is more information about Military Matters on the Housing Options Scotland website 

Print Print | Sitemap
© The Poppy Practice CIC Registered Office The Old School House, 188 Liscard Road, Wallasey CH44 5TN